If your application is refused we strongly advise that you contact your institution for advice. The immigration adviser or international student adviser there can tell you to what extent they can assist you with your options following a refusal.
If you think the refusal was incorrect, based on the evidence you submitted with your application, you may be able to ask the Home Office for an 'administrative review' of the decision. Whether or not you can do this will be outlined in your decision letter.
An administrative review is applied for online and costs £80. You must request the administrative review within 28 days of the date you receive your refusal notice. Your refusal letter should detail why you are refused and give instructions for requesting an administrative review. The administrative review request notice and accompanying guidance can be accessed on theGov.uk website.
You cannot produce new or different documents for an administrative review unless:
- your application was refused on grounds of deception, breach of conditions, or overstaying your previous leave; and/or
- your application was refused on the grounds that it was submitted outside of the permitted time limits; and/or
- the Home Office madean incorrect decision not to request additional evidence underparagraph 245AA of the Immigration Rules. This paragraph states that the Home Office can request missing documents if you submitted necessary documents but:
- a document did not contain all of the specified information
- a document was in the wrong format (for example, if a letter was not on letterhead paper as specified); or
- evidence was missing.
Be aware that at present the Home Office states that an administrative review may take up-to 6 months. If your application is refused, contact your institution immediately for advice and support as they may be able to advise if an administrative review is likely to be completed in time for you to either apply again, or receive a new decision approving your visa in time to start your programme of study.
You cannot submit a new entry clearance application at the same time as requesting an administrative review of an earlier entry clearance application. If you make a new visa application while you have an administrative review pending then your administrative review will automatically be withdrawn.
If you make a further application for immigration permission you are likely to be asked whether you have ever been refused immigration permission in the past. It is very important that you do declare any refusals, as requested.
If your visa is refused your application fee will not be refunded, however if you have paid the immigration health surcharge then this will be refunded.