Everyone who is learning English is almost always wanting to know how to improve your English vocabulary in a good, fast way.While there is no oneperfectway to learn English, there are ideas you can use that will make this process a lot easier. Its also good to know that there are ways that arent necessarily effective, and why we want to avoid using those strategies. But first, lets talk about why its important to build a good vocabulary base.
In traditional English courses, often times the teacher will give students a list of vocabulary words that will need to be memorized and used in a strict, classroom setting this is something that often not helpful. When you find yourself in a situation where you need to speak English, its difficult to even form a sentence because you have so many different words floating around in your head, but youre not quite sure how to use them! You have the words, but you probably dont have the idea, and you probably dont even know how to pronounce many of these words. Oh no!
Lets discuss how to improve your English vocabulary in a good, fast way.
Find Material You Like
- Listen to a song If youre a huge fan of a certain type of music or band/artist, then try building your vocabulary using a certain song (or songs). The great thing about songs is that you can play them over and over again!
- Find the lyrics Finding the lyrics to most songs can easily be done using the power of the internet, and its not really a great idea to sing a song without a lyrics sheet.
- 2.5 Listen to a song while you look at the lyrics!
- Read or sing the lyric along with the song while you listen to it.
- Turn off the music Use the lyrics to sing the song along with reading the words by yourself.
- Sing the song on your own I challenge you to do this without listening to the song or reading the lyrics.
Heres a tip: Start small! Try experimenting using short songs or poems.
Look For New Words
Its almost guaranteed that youre going to find new words that you dont know, while youre singing a song. When that happens, you have the power of the internet to help you find the definition of the word, or use a dictionary if youre a simple person.
Once you know what that new word means, listen to the song again and focus on the pronunciation of that new word. You might have to listen to that part a few times, but repetition is always a good vocabulary builder!
Create Your Own Sentence
Once you feel like you understand a new word (or several new words), try using them in a sentence! If its a word that you might use in a conversation with someone in the near future, then make an effort to learn that word and create your own sentence with that word.
- Ex. Rebuild
- I need to rebuild my house, because it was destroyed by a tornado.
Again, use examples of words that you might use in future conversations. Theres no point in building vocabulary using words that you dont plan to use.
Ask A Native Speaker
It NEVER hurts to get feedback from a native English speaker. Have that native speaker check your sentences and ask for feedback on what you can do better. Sometimes a certain word may have more than one meaning, and a native English speaker will be happy to tell you what the other meaning is.
(Also, dont forget to ask them if youre pronouncing the word correctly!)
Learning new vocabulary words doesnt have to be robotic or boring. When you learn new words by reading or listening something that really interests you, it becomes much more entertaining and it also becomes much easier to learn. Many of us struggle with learning words and how theyre used, but it doesnt have to be this way, especially with the right material!
Try it out and watch the video below!
For more videos: Go Natural English YT
Improve Your Listening and Speaking Skills